Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Color Purple In Class Response


Celie’s letters tell us that she is the kind of person who will put the needs of others before herself.  She writes,
“I ast him to take me instead of Nettie while our new mammy sick.  But he just ast me what I’m talking bout.  I tell him I can fix myself up for him.”
Celie really loves her family, and feels like she already lost innocence when she was raped.  Because of this, she wants to save her sister from being taken advantage of by giving up her marriage for them.  She always talks about how Nettie is so much better then her self, but I think that Celie is a better person because she would do something for Nettie in a heartbeat that Nettie wouldn’t do for Celie in a lifetime.  I don’t believe that Celie is jealous of Nettie for being prettier and smarter.  I think she accepts these things.  If she were Jealous, she wouldn’t be doing the things for Nettie that she does.

            Celie’s views on relationships are very different from most peoples.  Celie writes to God:
            “He beat me today cause he say I winked at a boy in church.  I may have got
            something in my eye but I didn’t wink.”
This quote shows the negative way that Celie was raised.  Because she was beat for this, she is basically being trained to fear men.  Also because she was raped, she thinks that a relationship is all physical and not about love and other emotions. She doesn’t want Nettie to be raised like she was, so she attempts to shelter her as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment